Monday, January 17, 2011

The Recorded Music Business

OK, so now I see that perhaps the industry has a future, after all. My first reaction to Youtube was that it should completely kill the business: Why would anyone ever buy a record again? But it turns out that you can listen to a song, but not a whole quartet, sometimes not even a whole movement, without interruption. For instance, I find half of the Beethoven Grosse Fuge, and the thing just stops slap in the middle. It seems the Youtube rules don't let you upload the whole movement. In the sixties, I used to hate turning over LP's in the middle of a piece, although it was better than what our parents had, when they had to play twenty or thirty 78 rpm records to hear a single piece. I thought we were finished with that kind of thing.
Also, I don't care much for the videos that go with the music. Is there a purely aural equivalent of Youtube? Youspeakers?

No comments: