Thursday, January 19, 2006

King Kong


That's Lise and my special friend, Naomi.

Lise and I saw the movie this evening. Great picture, except they
should have cut out about 15 minutes of horrible
gore. Kept tightly to all the classic scenes of the
last one.
Lise says Kong is an allegory of America -- colossal,
brutal, soft-hearted, brave, flawed, lost.

Technically interesting (and touching)
was the effect when the light went out of Kong's eyes
as he died. It's a movie cliché. This time it was very sharp,
or something; presumably this high-definition stuff
and the computerised animation make it possible.
Apart from movies, does it correspond to any reality?
As far as I recall from personal experience of deaths,
the eyes of the recently dead are characterised by
lack of movement, rather than lack of
reflectivity. But my experience is limited, and I was never
emotionally-detached, so my observations are not
reliable.

No comments: