Thursday, January 19, 2006

Keeping in Touch

I've been using gmail for about six months now. Joel Feinstein convinced me to give it a go, and after a few months I decided to scrap and disable the good old aof@maths.nuim.ie. The problem
was that, having been up forever, i.e. since even before the internet had html and browsers, the address (which was always an alias) is on every single spammer's list, and got about ten thousand messages a week, of which an irritating proportion pierced the filters. The address is now
dead, and I'm gradually letting my real contacts know about the new one.

Today, I was prompted by the fact that Susan Oakes of the LMS could not reach me to import a few lists into my contacts. Turns out I need them in comma-separated-value format. Google help suggests that I put them into Excel first. I'd prefer (since I hate The Evil Empire) if they would just tell me what
csv format is. Probably:
1) lines (separated by c/r at least), and comma-separated fields.
2) First line to give the headings
3) email must be one of the headings (or is it e-mail?)
Is this right?

No. Wikipedia has it at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma-separated_values
Tells me all I need to know.

No comments: