Thursday, November 19, 2009

Free Meals

p. 97 (11) The total cost of free meals supplied to 160 children in this district was £138 6s. at 2.14d per meal. For how many days were the children supplied with these meals?

(1£=20s., 1s.=12d.; d. was the symbol for penny, from the latin denarius.)

When I was in Primary School, in the 50's, most of the kids lined up at lunchtime and marched to the Town Hall for a free lunch. As a trademan's son, I had to go home to dinner instead. They got thick slices of white bread with margerine, and cocoa. I got meat, vegetables and potatoes, and tea. I would have loved to go with them, but it was forbidden by the rigid social stratification. Mom occasionally made me some cocoa, as compensation. I did not miss the margerine, which was truly awful in those days: the trick was to dip the bread in the sweet cocoa.

No comments: