Monday, March 20, 2006

Madison, Wisconsin








On the left, Lake Mendota, covered in ice.
This just down the street from the Lowell Center, where I stay. On the right, a snow disk above the lake, on campus.

The google map reference for here is http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=Madison,+WI,
and for home is: http://www.google.com/local?f=q&hl=en&&ll=53.392286,-6.633682&spn=0.024824,0.058966

The meeting on Complex Analysis, in honour of Ahern, Nagle, and Rosay was quite outstanding, with a lot of high-powered folk present, and a very high standard of talk. Madison is an amazingly pleasant place, with all this water-scenery, a tremendous variety of restaurants, and more coffee-houses to the square mile than Amsterdam. Good place to do mathematics.

By the way, apologies to visitors to my blog for the unpleasant ads that appeared in the last couple of days. This was no doubt view to the fact that in my remarks about my delayed luggage I made light-hearted mention of the replacement of my unmentionables, and this provoked, via the wonders of search-engine technology, a spate of ads about precisely those, which were really quite offensive. I'm experimenting with this business of ads, and if there is much more of this kind of thing, I'll pull the plug. In general, the ads that pop up are reasonably-related to my content, and actually informative for me.

No comments: