Monday, February 06, 2006

Logic Press' Site's Up

In the past week I became the owner of the domain name logicpress.ie, and the site is up and running at http://www.logicpress.ie/ . It remains to be seen how this affects the operation of the Press.

The site is hosted by HostIreland, who are easy to deal with, reasonably-priced, and respond quickly and competently to queries. I took the basic Linux package, as this provides ample
storage for me (I believe in lean code) and gives me convenient access using my favourite
operating system.

The online payments are done using PayPal. This was really easy to set up, works like a dream, and the pricing structure compares very favourably with VISA, for a small business.
It's especially attractive for a seasonal business, because it costs almost nothing to set up,
and you pay nothing if you receive no payments.

I allowed ads from Google on the site. I was concerned about some of the ads that popped up at the beginning, as they were for marginally-dodgy stuff that I wouldn't want to have near my site. But Google advised me how to block these, and they seem to have dried up. I'll see how this goes; it may not be worth the trouble.

I've also submitted all the books to the Google Publisher programme. This will allow online search of the full text of each book. The benefit to the Press is that it may promote sales: each page displayed will be accompanied with buy-this-book links, including one to the Logic Press site. Again, it remains to be seen how it works out.

I had to setup a redirect from my old host, and found the site instant-website-tools.com
useful for this and other matters of interest to website controllers.

2 comments:

Tony said...

It turned out in the end that the Google programme is a bad idea for publishers. Each week, people download hundreds of pages of my books for free, and they never transfer to buy them. The revenue generated is negligible. I've stopped uploading books to Google.

Tony said...
This comment has been removed by the author.